Follow us for the latest updates

  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
ACC Web AD.gif

UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against Super League rebels

UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid over their involvement in the proposed European Super League.

UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against Super League rebels

The three clubs are the only ones from the original 12 involved in the breakaway plans who have not formally withdrawn from the competition.


The other nine clubs that were due to participate pulled out and those clubs signed a Club Commitment Declaration with UEFA earlier this month and have been sanctioned also. They have agreed to make a combined €15 million (£13.4m) goodwill contribution to benefit children's and grassroots football across Europe.


They will also have 5 per cent of UEFA competition revenues withheld for one season, starting in 2023-24, and this money will be redistributed, including in the UK.


Each has also committed to Uefa and its competitions, with the clubs facing fines of 100m euros (£86.9m) apiece if they seek to join an unauthorised competition in the future. They will be fined half that if they breach any other terms of the declaration.


But for the three clubs still part of the Super League, Proceedings are now active for “a potential violation of UEFA’s legal framework”, it said on Tuesday.


In a statement released on Tuesday, Uefa said: "Following an investigation conducted by UEFA ethics and disciplinary inspectors in connection with the so-called 'Super League' project, disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus.


UEFA had previously vowed that anyone that participated in the Super League will be banned from UEFA competitions including the Champions League, we will now see if UEFA intend to carry that plan out.




Author: Abraham Adebayo